NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR CINCINNATI SCHOLAR HOUSE!
To apply in person please call 513-768-6640
Cincinnati Union Bethel is now accepting applications for the Cincinnati Scholar House, opening in Walnut Hills
early 2020. Affordable 2BR & 3BR apts. Income restrictions apply. Preference given to families with a household
member who is a qualified post-secondary student. A comprehensive Tenant Selection Plan is available in our office
and upon request. Accommodations, including mailing or submitting applications electronically, can be made for those
with disabilities and limited language proficiencies. Application by appointment only. Please call 513-768-6640.
*Equal Housing Opportunity
Cincinnati Scholar House Child Development Center
Cincinnati Scholar House also features a 5 Star Step Up To Quality Rated Child Development Center on-site. If you have a child that is 6 weeks to preschool aged and are looking for quality education call now! Our Child Development Center is accepting student in the community and not just residents of the Cincinnati Scholar House. For more information on how to get your child enrolled, call today 513-768-6649.
Hours: Monday-Friday: 7:00 am- 5:30 pm
A unique partnership of Cincinnati Union Bethel (CUB), The Model Group (TMG), and Christ Church Cathedral
(CCC) proposes the construction of Cincinnati Scholar House, a transitional learning-living program that will
equip low-income single parents with the support they need to complete a post-secondary degree and improve
their work prospects. The Scholar House concept, which began at a community in Lexington, Kentucky and has
grown to ten additional locations in Kentucky and Ohio, is a proven model that will assist these parents while they
earn their degree and work their way towards self-sufficiency, while their children simultaneously receive a
quality introduction to learning.
To participate in the program, Cincinnati Scholar House applicants must be enrolled in full-time coursework at a
postsecondary education institution (University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati State, Xavier University, or equivalent).
While enrolled in coursework, families will be offered the following support:
1. Housing: The project includes new construction of 44 units, comprised of 32 two-bedroom units and 12
three-bedroom units to best accommodate families. Subsidy will ensure that all families will pay only
30% of their incomes towards rent and utilities.
2. On-Site Early Care and Education Center: CUB has been delivering high-quality early care and education
for decades, and will operate a center sized to accommodate the children living at Cincinnati Scholar
House. Children from 6 weeks to school-age will receive education and care in an enriching environment
while the parent is in school.
3. Adult Support Program: In a program coordinated by CUB, parents will be connected with economic
supports including a work study program, financial aid, mentoring, and other workshops that will assist
parents in their roles as students, heads of household, and future employees. The project will include
several rooms where these programs are offered.
These services will be bundled and offered by a common staff to ensure they are specific to each family’s needs.
Residents will also receive support from their neighbors, who in community are taking a journey to self-sufficiency
and improved economic prospects.
The criteria to enter the program are:
• Already have a high school diploma or GED;
• Be at least 18 years of age;
• Be a single-parent with primary custody of child/children;
• Must be a full-time student;
• Must maintain a 2.0 GPA;
• Children under the age of 5 must be enrolled in the Early Care and Education program.
TMG served as a co-developer of Northern Kentucky Scholar House, completed in 2015, and looks forward to
bringing its experience to this project. Model Construction served as general contractor on that project, and TMG
Principal Bobby Maly remains on the NKY Scholar House Board of Directors. More information on the Scholar
House model can be found on the Kentucky Housing Corporation’s website.
• Continue the positive transformation of Walnut Hills by serving as a phase of development in the Peebles
Corner Business District.
• Provide the Walnut Hills community with high-quality affordable housing with supportive services,
needed to replace substandard affordable housing currently in the neighborhood.
• Serve the community with an education-based program that will give single parents and their children a
hand up in to economic self-sufficiency.
• The state of the art 44-unit building will seek Platinum LEED certification, designed to provide clean indoor air and ample natural light and used safe building materials sourced as close as possible to the building site to ensure efficiency and good health. For the Cincinnati Scholar House LEED Checklist, click here.
• Proven and experienced development team with strong capacity – CUB and TMG’s previous project,
Anna Louise Inn, was on time and under budget, completed in 2015. Further, TMG has a long history of
delivering successful projects in the city.
• Will be constructed by a Section 3 certified general contractor, Model Construction, with a history of
helping the city meet its MBE, WBE and SBE participation goals.
• CUB will use its proven expertise and experience to provide comprehensive services for both the children
and parents at Cincinnati Scholar House, and will create the conditions where low-income parents work
their way towards self-sufficiency.
• Christ Church Cathedral’s partnership in the project is invaluable. The Cathedral has tremendous stature
and resources in the community and has made the commitment to bring not only financial resources to
the operations, but to provide capacity for volunteers, mentors, and ongoing participation through the
board of the Friends of Cincinnati Scholar House.
• The development will be 100% visitable and will include a minimum of 5% ADA and 2% sensory
We are committed to working with the city and neighborhood stakeholders. Any questions regarding this project
can be directed to Development, Director of Marketing & Development at CUB, 513-768-6933.